Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 RT with 35k miles.

It has developed a squeek/clunk in the front left corner coming from the suspension somewhere but everything looks ok. You can lightly feel it in the wheel when it does it and it seems to only be a problem on warm and dry days and city streets. Just parked, on a warm day, if you push down on the fender it makes the sound too. I did a little research and it seems the sway bar bushings are prone to premature wear due to the weight of the mag. Anyone else heard this?

At the same time I am thinking about a suspension upgrade and looking at lowering springs or the Hotchkis set up with new bars and the above mentioned bushings. They seem to all say not for self/load leveling suspension, which mine has. Does this mean I can't alter my suspension ever (without going to bags) or just that I would need to replace the rear shocks if I was going to lower it?

As the wife knows something is not quite right, now might be a good time to use the old 'geez hun, turns out I need all these parts just to fix it' line! :cool5:

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
If you looked and everything seems to be ok, then I would be leaning towards a tension strut bushing or even a tie rod end issue. I had both of my tension struts replaced at around 25,000 miles and I just replaced both inner tie rods and outer tie rod ends too. It seems to be a common problem in the '05s. It's even possible that a strut could be failing. Tension strut is #4 in this drawing. Also, did you check the sway bar end links? ( #7) A good alignment shop should be able to track it down for you. Even a good dealer service dept. if you have or know of one that you trust.

Yes you can alter your suspension. I have an '05 R/T with the Sportline springs, pro dampers, front and rear sway bars and adjustable end links. Mine also had the load leveling shocks (nivomats) in the rear. Which ever way you decide to go, just remember that to lower your car, you'll need to replace those nivomats. It's a win, win situation too. In addition to lowering your car, replacing the dampers gives you much better handling/performance. I know tirerack.com has some good deals. Maybe Ken (Threegpsi) can help you out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
NIce find FM!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I will take it into the shop and have the front end looked at on my noise issues. Everything else, tracking wise, seems to be prefect. I just replaced my 20's with new Ecsta's (love them) and the ones that came off had no wierd wear paterns either.

I am in a quandry on lowering. A few years ago, I sold my beloved Mustang because I modified it so much that parking lots, speed bumps...pebbles were an issue! I had to approach everything on an angle, it rode like crap and the front air spliter (saleen) was like a rock chip collector as it flaired forward.
That being said, I love the look of a lowered magnum but I am afraid to go too radical for the above cited reason. Also, I need to improve the ride, not make it worse.
How low is a practical amount and what product is recomended within these parameters? The Hotchkis stage 1 looks like it would accomplish everything I am looking to acheive, except the new rear dampers I am apparantly now going to need. That might be a little harder sell on the wife....rear shocks for a noise in the front?
Thanks for the help and advice!

·
Double-U Tee Eff
3,065 Posts
you take in to a stealership and they usually won't find anything.

take your hand and grab ahold of the outer tie rod (my clunking noise problem a long while back). where it bolts up to the steering knuckle, trying moving it (it'll pivot on its ball joint) up and down - left and right. it should only pivot on the ball joint. anything up/down - left/right is a bad outer tie rod. usually, when moving it in those directions, you'll find the popping noise.

also; check your upper control arm at the ball joint. if you can squeeze where the upper control arm, where it bolts up to the knuckle, together, and it pops in and out, you'll need to change that out as well.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
So I will take it into the shop and have the front end looked at on my noise issues. Everything else, tracking wise, seems to be prefect. I just replaced my 20's with new Ecsta's (love them) and the ones that came off had no wierd wear paterns either.

I am in a quandry on lowering. A few years ago, I sold my beloved Mustang because I modified it so much that parking lots, speed bumps...pebbles were an issue! I had to approach everything on an angle, it rode like crap and the front air spliter (saleen) was like a rock chip collector as it flaired forward.
That being said, I love the look of a lowered magnum but I am afraid to go too radical for the above cited reason. Also, I need to improve the ride, not make it worse.
How low is a practical amount and what product is recomended within these parameters? The Hotchkis stage 1 looks like it would accomplish everything I am looking to acheive, except the new rear dampers I am apparantly now going to need. That might be a little harder sell on the wife....rear shocks for a noise in the front?
Thanks for the help and advice!

The Eibach pro system kit might be just what your looking for. It would lower your Magnum about 1.5" and the spring rate is slightly firmer than a stock SRT suspension. This kit includes the pro-kit springs and the pro-dampers. Tirerack.com has this kit for $580.00. I believe that's the cheapest price you'll find. As far as your concerns above. This kit should allow you to lower your car, improve performance and stay within the parameters you stated above. Any questions I could answer for you don't hesitate to ask.

·
Premium Member
9,241 Posts
If you looked and everything seems to be ok, then I would be leaning towards a tension strut bushing or even a tie rod end issue. I had both of my tension struts replaced at around 25,000 miles and I just replaced both inner tie rods and outer tie rod ends too. It seems to be a common problem in the '05s. It's even possible that a strut could be failing. Tension strut is #4 in this drawing. Also, did you check the sway bar end links? ( #7) A good alignment shop should be able to track it down for you. Even a good dealer service dept. if you have or know of one that you trust.

Yes you can alter your suspension. I have an '05 R/T with the Sportline springs, pro dampers, front and rear sway bars and adjustable end links. Mine also had the load leveling shocks (nivomats) in the rear. Which ever way you decide to go, just remember that to lower your car, you'll need to replace those nivomats. It's a win, win situation too. In addition to lowering your car, replacing the dampers gives you much better handling/performance. I know tirerack.com has some good deals. Maybe Ken (Threegpsi) can help you out.
Very nice post...deserving of a bean

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once again, thanks.....but one more question.
How much of a difference does upgrading the sway bars really make? Is it worth it?
That Eibach system is also available with a new front bar and bushings for another couple hundred bucks or so.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
How much of a difference does upgrading the sway bars really make? Is it worth it?
That Eibach system is also available with a new front bar and bushings for another couple hundred bucks or so.
Actually, it comes with both sway bars and bushings. I don't know why they only show one bar in the pics.

My opinion on the bars...is get them. I bought the whole kit and am so glad I did. You have to lower the rear cradle to install the springs anyway, might as well do the bar at the same time.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts

Sway bars make a pretty significant difference in the handling of our cars. When I installed the Eibach sway bars, it eliminated the body roll in the turns. Very much worth it IMO. At tirerack.com they have the Pro system kit plus for $805.00. It includes the pro kit springs, pro dampers and front and rear sway bars. If you want springs, dampers and sways, this is the best price around. Here's a link to the '05 R/T page. http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...ear=2005&autoModClar=Standard+Model&brand=all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts