Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am confuzzled at the moment. is the tension strut the same as a Control Arm/Ball Joint Assy? Moog lists as the latter and the service tech manual lists as a tension strut. Are they the same thing or am I not looking at the right part in the service manual. And the plot thickens... the mechanic said I need the tension struts replaced for $450 includes an alignemnt. Does this seem reasonable. I want to be able to do the work, but am somewhat mechanically challenged. I desire the experience. What's you'alls opinion?

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
The Tension struts are also called front lower control arms (left & right). Rockauto has the Moog "R" series for $63 each. That's about $120 for the pair. You figure 2-2.5 hrs for install at $85 / hr labor rate = $170-$210 and $80.00 for an alignment = taxes and you're about right.

-----
410 + tax

·
Registered
373 Posts
Im going to give this a shot having a little suspension experience .... Yes they are 2 different things here are pics of each . The left picture is a picture of the tension strut , the right is a picture of the Control Arm / Ball joint assy. Really hope I have this right but im sure somone will check me if I have it wrong / check my work :D

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
Allright Fireman beat me too it lol while I was finding pictures .... Did I pass the test Fireman ?

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
Allright Fireman beat me too it lol while I was finding pictures .... Did I pass the test Fireman ?
You're right, kinda...Lol You have the upper control arm/ ball joint assembly pictured. The tension strut is also known as lower control arm/ball joint assembly

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you both for the tiime and information. Now, one more lil thing... Moog vs Raybestos. couldn't find the metal used in MOOG but the raybestos stated aluminum. Which is more durable and/or higher quality ? and what is a meevotech ?? once agin thank you for your patience and guidance.

Has anyone used the parts monster on ebay successfully?

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
I would use Rockauto. I use them all the time. They are reasonably priced and ship very quickly.

Meevotech have a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty

MEVOTECH Part # MS25120 More Info

Front Left Lower Front

MEVOTECH Part # MS25121 More Info

Front Right Lower Front

2005 DODGE MAGNUM Control Arm

·
keep calm? IT'S GOT A HEMI!
8,394 Posts
I would use Rockauto. I use them all the time. They are reasonably priced and ship very quickly.

Meevotech have a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty

MEVOTECH Part # MS25120 More Info

Front Left Lower Front

MEVOTECH Part # MS25121 More Info

Front Right Lower Front

2005 DODGE MAGNUM Control Arm
X2
That is where I got mine, had them before I was ready to install them. Easy install really, if your mechanically inclined. Hardest part is getting the old ones to let go.

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,414 Posts
All you need to do the work yourself is basic tools. Jack stands, a 3lb hammer, a socket set and an adjustable wrench. Of course, the replacement parts and an alignment afterwords. StingrayJ has a write up posted here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the input. Gonna go research moog vs raybestos vs mevotech.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts