Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tough question for DODGE MAGNUM owners.....what is the dodge magnum classified by NYS....a MPV mulitpurpose vehicle, a station wagon, or a light truck ?....
Ive read that its an MPV which makes it classfied a truck/suv....

its the only LX vehicle that can have tints blacked out behind the driver due to this classification?

Can someone provide proof of this classification?

does it say MPV on any sticker in the car...anything from dodge to back up the MPV or light truck classification...something i can use in court to fight a tint ticket for factory privacy glass

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
When I got my initial insurance, they said it was classified as and SUV and made my policy around that.
Not sure what it's official classification is tho. I'm located in Northern California.

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,575 Posts
I consider mine a FLEET vehicle 'cuz I have six ~LOL~ Just kidding, mine is considered a station wagon in NC.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The Magnum is classified as a truck that is why the SRT Magnum had no federal gas tax.
Dodge Magnum to Be Classified Truck | News & Analysis content from WardsAuto

As far as the statement the tinted window issue net time tell the cop to take his key and attempt to scratch the file on the back windows and film yourself with a knife trying to cut the film so that when you go to court you can show the judge that its glass that came from the factory.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Every state/province can and will classify a vehicle by their own standards. Here in Ontario it is classed as a station wagon giving me a 20% insurance discount. If I had the exact same chassis, engine and options in a charger or 300 it would be classed as a sport sedan with higher rates.

Personally I find our magnums to be the ULTIMATE SUV. Show me one "SUV" that can carry 5 people in comfort with a full load of cargo in the back, while towing a trailer and taking corners like we can. We have a performance drivetrain and suspension that no SUV can match...and they look AMAZING. :) Add in awd and you really have something.

·
Registered
515 Posts
You should be able to print out the NY tint laws and take them w/you to court. We tint windows here and looking at my chart,NY tint laws say any mpv meaning truck,van,suv,wagon can have any darkness on the back and back side windows but only 70% or clear on the front windows.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
I'm in Nor Cal and my policy classifies it as a Station Wagon.

·
Meet Celeste
4,659 Posts
New Jersey has mine classified as a station wagon.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tell them if came from the factory the way it ans and to take up their beef with Chrysler.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'm in Ontario, Canada and my insurance company classifies it as a SUV on my insurance slips
Really??? That is odd. All 4 different insurers I have had with my magnum have it classed as a station wagon. When zi asked the first one they told me it was a provinical vehicle classification and they didn't get to decide it. I asked because it is the same chassis as a 300 which is classed as a sedan.

·
Registered
908 Posts
A tough question for DODGE MAGNUM owners.....what is the dodge magnum classified by NYS....a MPV mulitpurpose vehicle, a station wagon, or a light truck ?....
Ive read that its an MPV which makes it classfied a truck/suv....

its the only LX vehicle that can have tints blacked out behind the driver due to this classification?

Can someone provide proof of this classification?

does it say MPV on any sticker in the car...anything from dodge to back up the MPV or light truck classification...something i can use in court to fight a tint ticket for factory privacy glass

It is classified as a SUV. As a fellow NY'er I have the same issue u have. The glass is factory tinted and they know that based on vin#. Question is, did the cop use the tint tester? And are u 2 front windows tinted? The judge will throw out the back windows as long as u haven't tinted on top of the tinted factory glass.

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,413 Posts
In IL, my Magnum is registered as a utility vehicle. I always thought it was a 300 with a hatch. What a difference ONE body part can make.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The longer you own cars, the more you learn that government agencies, insurance companies, and even manufacturers, know very little about cars, or their equipment of classifications. They simply enter the data, right or wrong, and move on. Most people entering data at government agencies, insurance companies, and manufacturers, couldn't tell a Yugo from a Humvee.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
its gets suv/light truck classification by epa due to cargo capacity and body length ...and the fact that the back chairs fold flat ...the magnum is the only lx with that classification(only one that can have legal back tints) ...same classification as a pt cruiser...

also not tints over them..the privacy glass is 20% for back 5 windows...

he gave me a ticket for both back windows because i tried to tell him that they were legal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
can someone take a pic of the stick in the passenger door that says the vehicle class and post it with the vin number blurred out

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
#######################################
Multi-purpose vehicles/Minivans[edit]

Opel Zafira B
Main article: Minivan
Also known as "people carriers", this class of cars resembles tall estate cars. Larger MPVs may have seating for up to eight passengers. (Beyond that size, similar vehicles tend to be derived from vans (see below) and in Europe are called minibuses.)
Being taller than a family car improves visibility for the driver (while reducing visibility for other road users) and may help access for the elderly or disabled. They also offer more seats and increased load capacity than hatchbacks or estate cars.
Examples of mini MPVs:
Ford B-Max
Citroën C3 Picasso
Opel/Vauxhall Meriva
Examples of compact MPVs:
SEAT Altea
Opel Zafira Tourer
Ford C-MAX
Both categories are equivalent to the EuroNCAP class "Small MPVs".

Mazda5
Examples of large MPVs / minivans:
Mazda5
Ford Galaxy
SEAT Alhambra
This category is equivalent to the EuroNCAP class "MPVs".

############################################################

dodge spec sheet #################

2005 DODGE MAGNUM LAUNCH March 1, 2004

SPECIFICATIONS

Dimensions are in inches (millimeters) unless otherwise noted.

GENERAL INFORMATION
Body Style Sport Tourer
Assembly Plant Brampton, Ontario, Canada
EPA Vehicle Class Multi-purpose vehicle
Introduction Date Spring 2004 and 2005 model

ENGINE: 2.7-LITER DOHC 24-VALVE V-6
Standard. – SE
Type and Description 60 degree bank angle, liquid-cooled, active dual-tuned intake manifold with electronically controlled manifold tuning valve
Displacement 167 cu. in. (2736 cu cm)
Bore x Stroke 3.38 x 3.09 (86 x 78.5)
Valve System DOHC, 24 valves, hydraulic end- pivot roller followers
Fuel Injection Sequential, multi-port, electronic
Construction Semi-permanent mold aluminum block with cast in iron liners cross bolted main bearing caps, cast aluminum heads
Compression Ratio 9.7:1
Power (SAE net) 190 bhp (142 kW) @ 6400 rpm (70.4 bhp/liter)
Torque (SAE net) 190 lb.-ft. (258 N•m) @ 4000 rpm
Max. Engine Speed 6600 rpm (electronically limited)
Fuel Requirement Unleaded regular, 87 octane
(R+M)/2
Oil Capacity 6 qt. (5.7 L) with dry filter
Coolant Capacity 9.5 qt. (9 L)
Emission Controls Dual close-coupled 3-way catalytic converters, quad heated oxygen sensors and internal engine features
Max. Gross Trailer Weight 1000 lbs. (454 kg)
EPA Fuel Economy MPG City/Hwy.) 21/28

- 1 -
(Footnotes)1 Meets Federal Tier 2, Bin 8 emissions requirements; marketed in California as an ULEV1 (Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle) under cleanest vehicle rules.

********************** use this link to print out more official looking version for tint tickets on magnum ******************

http://media.chrysler.com/dcxms/assets/specs/2005DodgeMagnumSpecificationsLaunch.pdf

1 - 20 of 27 Posts