Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what size the stock tb is on the 5.7's. Will going with a 90mm make a huge diff over, say, an 85? And what about a spacer? I've got a K&N FIPK so would a spacer even fit, or be useful?

Never really paid much attention during intake class...

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
The stock throttle body is 80mm. Going to a bigger throttle body without tuning or a need for it will do very little. It may give you a bit better throttle response but you can get that and much more by using a Diablosport tuner. (Predator or Trinity)

As far a spacers go......Save your $$

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok and as far as the tuners go...from what I can tell on the website the only big difference between the predator and trinity is the trinity's more advanced user interface. Same tuning options though right? So if I don't need all the extras the predator does the same thing, no?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I have an 06 RT with the k&n fipk and I WAS using an airaid tb spacer up until about 6 weeks ago. I pulled it to do a little comparison testing with and without and so far (from my experience) it seems to be pretty even....depending on how you drive. that's the biggie I've found. your driving style AND type of driving (city vs highway) is a bigger determining factor here.

Typically I run at the speed limit (or a couple of km above) with the cruise on, easy acceleration and about 90% of my driving is highway. What I hove noticed is the tb spacer helps improve the low end but it definitely drops off on the top. Below 1800 rpm seems to give the best improvement. I was getting about 1-2 mpg higher city mileage with the spacer than without. At highway speeds though I find that it takes longer for the mds to kick in without a spacer but once it does kick in my mpg does get about 5% better. This really only helps me on long drives...100km or more. Below that the mds doesn't have the chance to really go low enough for my taste. But with the spacer I found the mds started working in a much shorter time, it would stay on a little longer (ie when going up a slight incline or very mild passing). Without the spacer I find that mds doesn't really start working until the oil temp reaches around 78°C whereas with it the mds started around 65°C. Not a huge difference but in the amount of time it takes for the oil to reach these temp differences I would have traveled around 10km in full 8 cyl mode. But my acceleration from a dead stop was better with the spacer and it seemed to remove any "dead spots" that I feel now without it. Acceleration from full stop was definitely smoother with it on.

As fireman says it's all up to you. I think over the life of the car you MAY very well see a decent fuel savings with the spacer that would more than pay for it's cost BUT it really depends on how you drive and where. Mostly city I'd say try one. Mostly highway I'd say don't bother. Depends on what you're looking for...better performance or better mpg. Top end or low end. I will say without question that the spacer DID make a noticeable difference in my mpg BUT it also made a noticeable difference in performance based on engine rpms.

I'm still debating on whether mine is going back on or not. I'm about 2000 kms now without and I have seen my mileage drop by about 50 kms per tank. I still average a little above 600 kms so I'm not unhappy. Keep in mind my mpg figures are a combination of my evic readings and kms driven vs fillup amounts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thats a lot of words j/k! That's really a lot of good info there.I kinda sit pretty even between city and highway as I live in the city but work way out in the coutry. I can get a spacer on the cheap from some buddies at the local shops so i guess i'll just have to try out a few different setup. I'm certain that the tune will come first though. Thanks for the info

And does anyone know if there are any drawbacks with switching the tuning frequently with the Predator? Such as more mpg's for work driving and more power for weekends? best of both worlds.....

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Ok and as far as the tuners go...from what I can tell on the website the only big difference between the predator and trinity is the trinity's more advanced user interface. Same tuning options though right? So if I don't need all the extras the predator does the same thing, no?
As far as tuning goes, you're going to be able to do the same with either the Trinity or the Predator. You will be able to some real time monitoring and some performance timing (0-60, 1/4 mile, etc) with the Trinity. If it's worth the extra money to you and it's what you need/want, then get it. Otherwise, I'd say that the Predator would probably be fine.

Wow, thats a lot of words j/k! That's really a lot of good info there.I kinda sit pretty even between city and highway as I live in the city but work way out in the coutry. I can get a spacer on the cheap from some buddies at the local shops so i guess i'll just have to try out a few different setup. I'm certain that the tune will come first though. Thanks for the info

And does anyone know if there are any drawbacks with switching the tuning frequently with the Predator? Such as more mpg's for work driving and more power for weekends? best of both worlds.....
Currently, using these tuners are for performance benefits. There ar no "mileage" tunes for the LX vehicles. Sure you'll get some better mileage (most do) but you'll have to pay for premium gas. The tunes can be changed and modified as desired but there's really no need to do so after you've found what works best.

I guess you could install a tune when you want it, then return to stock when you don't. IMO......If it's going to be used like that, you should really decide on whether you really want it or not.

BTW - As far as spacers go!.......SAVE YOUR MONEY!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Currently, using these tuners are for performance benefits. There ar no "mileage" tunes for the LX vehicles. Sure you'll get some better mileage (most do) but you'll have to pay for premium gas. The tunes can be changed and modified as desired but there's really no need to do so after you've found what works best.

I guess you could install a tune when you want it, then return to stock when you don't. IMO......If it's going to be used like that, you should really decide on whether you really want it or not.
I'm gonnma go ahead and get it when I get back to the mainland in a few weeks. I was just thinking along the lines of having different driving "profiles". Like i said I'm not incredibly familiar with them yet and was under the impression there were settings for more mpg's that rob some of your higher power numbers, and vise versa.
You guys are an incredible resource for new learners!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And as far as premium gas goes, I consider that a non-issue. A $.20 difference only equates to 4 bucks at 20 gallons

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
I'm gonnma go ahead and get it when I get back to the mainland in a few weeks. I was just thinking along the lines of having different driving "profiles". Like i said I'm not incredibly familiar with them yet and was under the impression there were settings for more mpg's that rob some of your higher power numbers, and vise versa.
You guys are an incredible resource for new learners!
No "profiles" per say. I you want a certain tune setup a little differently, then you must enter the "quick adjusts" menu or reset the tune parameters and reload the tune.

Check this out....... Diablosport Predator Required reading for those about to tune with a Predator.

And as far as premium gas goes, I consider that a non-issue. A $.20 difference only equates to 4 bucks at 20 gallons
That's exactly how I see it.

·
SilverBack
4,731 Posts
That's my view too. I think the same thing when I convenient gas station is $.5 more per gallon the one 5/10 minutes away, worth it to pay the extra $.5 than to drive out of your way to save $.5 per gallon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts