Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

Throttle response improvement?

7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Fireman2118 
#1 ·
I want better throttle response. Im tired of nailing the pedal, having a drink, dinner and maybe catch a movie before the car actually starts to move.

There is just too much lag time, is my point.

Is this a programmer issue? Pedal issue? Throttle body issue?

#2 · (Edited)
had the same problem when i first got my mag, reset the computer and drive aggressively ,not dukes of hazard aggressive, just like when the light turns green GO when you wana move GO, the computer eventually learns that you dont drive like grandma and adapts, my mag jumps up to 2.5k RPM in a blink. Im sure fireman will give you a better more technical description lol but basically if you drive however you feel comfortable the computer will eventually adapt to it. Second option, use auto stick :cool5:

Also, using 91 or 93 helps, i dont know by you but where i live the Sunoco by my house gives greattt gas n it definitely matters as far as throttle response is concerned

#3 · (Edited)
Is this a programmer issue? Pedal issue? Throttle body issue?
All the above......

Lag is the downside of the Electronic throttle setup on the LX's. They all have it. A Diablosport tuner will remedy many of the performance shortcomings that are common place in stock setups and programming. When you decide to get a tuner, make sure that it's a new Predator, an Intune or a Trinity. That way you'll have "throttle boost" as a tuning option. Throttle boost will speed up the communication between the pedal and the throttle body. It will also reduce the amount of pedal movement needed.
Understand that older hardware versions of the Predator will not have "throttle boost" because of hardware limitations (memory).

As mentioned above, the PCMs use "adaptive" technology. The car learns your driving style and behaves accordingly. Drive like a grandmother and your car will lose it's pep. Drive it like you stole it and your car will learn and maintain the aggressive style. "Drive it like you stole it" isn't always possible. Fortunately, a Diablosport tuner can be used to address these issues also.

Sounds like you need a tuner.

#4 ·
Could be snake oil but a lot of people have put a ground on the throttle body. I did it to my parent's RT Charger and they seem to notice the difference. Before they complained that when you were pulling out onto a busy street that you never knew how far to push the pedal because it would react differently every time. After grounding the tb they say it's much more predictable. It's certainly not going to hurt anything to try it. For most people this will be a free mod since almost everyone has some 14g wire and a couple ring terminals.

#6 ·
I installed an 85mm throttle body from Modern Muscle and noticed a difference.

ive heard mixed responses, and i think i read a post from you fireman but ill ask anyway, TB spacers on a Hemi are a no no right? dont really serve a purpose, and whats snake oil?

And i ordered the fat blue predator, if i update it will it have the throttle boos option or is that strictly Trinity and Intune
TB spacers = waste of money on most fuel injected cars. They tend to work better on cars that have carburetors because they help to atomize (tumble) the Air/fuel mixture.

#5 · (Edited)
ive heard mixed responses, and i think i read a post from you fireman but ill ask anyway, TB spacers on a Hemi are a no no right? dont really serve a purpose, and whats snake oil?

And i ordered the fat blue predator, if i update it will it have the throttle boos option or is that strictly Trinity and Intune

#10 ·
#12 ·
Ive seen this on diff. forums but never tried it...some say its BS while others say it has worked with throttle response

1. Stop your car and turn it off
2. turn your key to the ON position, just the ON position not start.
3. wait for all of your lights to go off on the dash. You should not see any of your idiot lights.
4. mash the peddle to the floor and hold in for 10 seconds then let it up.
5. turn your key to the OFF position
6. Start your car and you have now recalibrated your throttle position.

#14 ·
I do this with my RT every now and then but with one slight change...I don't MASH the pedal but instead slowly press it to the floor (counting 5 seconds), hold and count to 2 and then slowly release (another 5 seconds). Confirmed this with one of the Chrysler service techs as the proper way to re-calibrate the peddle position sensor. Without question I notice a difference every time, but to be fair I DO drive like grampa much of the time. :) But I am currently enjoying a near 28mpg (8.4L/100km) average on every tank and still punch it now and then. But from what the tech informed me the re-calibration typically will only help in cases where the peddle doesn't make full sweeps of the range of motion on a regular basis. So in my case where I use cruise most of the time, easy acceleration, and holding around 2k rpms I don't see that full range of peddle position...so I see a benefit. If you're running 1/4 mile at a time you probably go from 0-100% peddle position many times a day keeping the calibration pretty much in rage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.