Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished putting on a new timing belt, tensioner, pulley & water pump (Rockauto Gates #TCKWP295D). Its an 06 SXT with 102k on it... no mechanical issues, this was just PM. Took a little longer than some of you have stated but I've got other irons in the fire to deal with also. So, I started it up today and there was a slight tapping noise coming from the pass. side cylinder bank. After if warmed up and the idle settled a bit, the engine has a slight shake to it now also, and the throttle seems slow to respond if i just rev it some (no driving yet)... had NONE of these issues before. CEL came on after it warmed up, but I shut it of and started it again and it went away...for now. I'm thinking I may be a tooth off on the passenger side sprocket because when I put the new hardware on, it was off by about a 1/2 tooth (counter clockwise from the timing mark), but the drivers side and crank were DEAD ON their marks . My question is... I know that if I take it all apart and jump it forward, its going to be a 1/2 tooth ahead of the mark (I know because I already dealt with it when I was putting the new belt on. I figured I had a 50/50 chance of making the right guess...) So, which is better?... to be a 1/2 tooth ahead, or a 1/2 tooth behind? Will it damage anything if I were to let it run or drive it for a while? Any other opinions? Thanks for the help guys...

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I would not drive it till its right. Remember these engines are interference valves so it could cause valve/piston using the same space. NOT GOOD

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Headed out to get started on the "re-do". Probably wont finish this afternoon, but I will post any updates... possibly tomorrow.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So... Jumped it ahead(?) a tooth. Took some pics before I put it back together, so anyone can see what I'm dealing with. The first one is the after photo... the drivers side and the crank are right on the mark for both of them. This is ALSO after a couple revs by hand, so things settle some. I cant get the passenger side RIGHT ON the mark because of how the cogs are laid out. BUT... I noticed that once I tighten down the tensioner, it DOES pull it back part way to where its supposed to be, just not all the way.

Again... advice anyone? ... before I put it back together and start it up?

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found this in the service manual. I don't remember seeing step #3 in any of the directions on the forum... maybe I didn't look hard enough either. Will try it out tomorrow and see how it goes...

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All is good here. Got everything back together after using the right installation process. Had a small burp in the cooling system afterwards but other than that, all is good.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great to hear. Way to persevere and git er done!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts