Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been on quite a DIY kick of late so I've decided to try my hand at fabricating both a firewall cover and a radiator shroud from scratch. I have the sheet metal I plan on using as well as the necessary tools to cut and shape it, I am just about ready to start making up a template for the firewall cover out of cardboard (unless anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears).

Anyone who has fabbed one from scratch, do you have any suggestions that helped when making your template? It seems like an awkward place to try to get into to trace anything out so it seems like the kind of process that will involve lots and lots of small cuts and hoping you don't go too far.

Also, for anyone that has a firewall cover, is there anything particular that needs to be relocated to make it work and are there any convenient places to move them to?

I'm not terribly worried about the radiator shroud, as it is essentially a flat piece with a lip.

Thanks for any tips you can give me, I appreciate your help. :hail:

This site has been a phenomenal resource so far (you guys are all enablers. Haha.)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have no tips, but I am interested in this project. I have been contemplating something similar (along with another dozen projects around the house.)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the Radiator Shroud cover rough cut last night, just need to grind the edges to keep them from being so sharp and to smooth the shape itself. I used 29 gauge galvanized roof flashing. I think it's fine for the part I've already made, but I may need to double it up for the firewall cover for added rigidity. It involved a lot of trial and error, but I finally got it. I'm pretty sure the firewall cover is going to be even trickier. There is a lot to be said for buying from the vendors who have already done all the trial and error, but if you're handy, it's a doable project. I'll post up some pictures as I get them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts