Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a class three Cort Hitch and was wondering what was the weight of any trailers you towed. I'll be getting a two ton boat and trailer soon with no brake assist. My dealer said not to tow it but I thought I would ask the greatest group out there, you guys:)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yes a 2.7 is not rated for any towing and it has smaller brakes than the 5.7 or 6.1. You could probably get it to where you are going but you will put alot of strain on that drivetrain over time and reduce your safety margin on stopping and decents significantly. I wouldn't suggest it but I guess it is possible. The towing specs with and without trailer are in the owners manual.
Gee, I have a 2.7. That puts me out of the running for towing a two ton trailer long distances.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No way! That would be very unsafe. I think the manual for my SE states 1000 pounds and 100 pounds tongue weight. IMO that's even way too much for a 3800 pound car with a small v6 that barely get out of it's own way in the first place. Not only that but the brakes and suspension aren't rated for much.

·
keep calm? IT'S GOT A HEMI!
8,394 Posts
The 2.7 can do 1000 lbs but not well and mpg is crap. Towed a much lighter that 1000 lbs trailer from dads in southern tx to OKC and usted 4 times the fuel as without.

Sent from R2D2 using Taptalk.
These aren't the Droids your looking for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just towed my T-Rex to and from Virginia to Florida / 3.5l v6 / 22" rims / Hidden Hitch class 2 / no issues what so ever. I got 19mpg also. I dont tow but twice a year but i didnt even notice it back there

20130324_160443-1.jpg

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have a class III hitch, that was bought specifically to tow my wife's Mercedes back from where it broke down, about 4 hours away. After driving to the town and going to the U-haul to rent a trailer, they told me my Magnum SRT-8 was incapable of towing the Mercedes because of it's weight....(which they told me was like 3,500 lbs.....) Argued with them, that it's closer to 3 tons than it is anything, but they refused to rent to me, so.... now I have a hitch that serves me very little purpose at the moment except to make it more of a sleeper.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks, the manual says as much. Good thing my trailer is 800 pounds and I only drive it in the city for three miles to get to the water:)
Common sense. If you are going a short distance on fairly level ground you should be OK. You better hope that boat ramp is level and free of loose sand though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are right. Wish I had thought about the bigger engine when I got my Magnum. I need to detail it for the winter. We have been using my brother's Explorer to tow the boat. Going to Brookville Lake, Ohio this week for one last sail.
Thanks for a great site. I am thinking of a new attention getter:)

Common sense. If you are going a short distance on fairly level ground you should be OK. You better hope that boat ramp is level and free of loose sand though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts