Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum with a 5.7 Hemi. It has about 165k miles on it. I be been having this problem for a while now. So when I am accelerating on the the free way, it goes through all the gears nice and smooth, but I believe around the 4th gear, if I have the foot pedal all the way down it revs all the way to the rev limiter and does not shift until I let go of the pedal. It isn’t a major problem, any advice would help.
Thank you

·
Registered
91 Posts
What you are describing may be normal. Most automatics are set to rev farther before shifting into the next gear when you have the throttle wide open. Once you back off the throttle, it will shift to the next gear until it is in the gear it is most comfortable with at the speed you are running. At what rpm does it shift into 5th gear when you are cruising at part throttle? If you are cruising on the highway in 5th gear at say 2000-2500 rpm and you suddenly floor it to pass, 2 things will happen. The fuel system will give the injectors a "pump shot" to richen things up to keep the engine from bogging, and the trans will shift down to give you better acceleration. Once you complete the pass, and back off the throttle, it will shift back to 5th gear to cruise. If you leave it floored, it will eventually shift into 5th gear, but probably at somewhere above 100 mph. It may also not shift into 5th gear untilyou back off. Some overdrive transmissions are desighned not to shift into overdrive until you back off, since 5th gear is considered an overdrive cruising gear not a gear for max acceleration.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts