Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last three times I've driven, the ESP, brake and ABS lights all come on at the same time. I hear the chime, I see the lights, then they all disappear instantly. The dash lights are off almost before I can even look to see what the chime was for. They won't come on during the same car trip, but come on again next time I drive. I haven't done any work with the brakes since last year and this has just happened recently, never before. I checked my parking brake lever to be sure it wasn't depressed at all. No loss in braking performance or loss in traction when this happens either. The only electrical work done lately was my fog light harness replacement. All the OEM wiring was left in tact, just spliced in a new plug. Is this just a fluke or should I be concerned ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds like a fluke my brotha. My car does the same thing from time to time so I know exactly what you mean by " I hear the chime and its gone before I see what it was."
I would chase some wires just to be safe. Bad ground maybe??

·
Registered
809 Posts
Probably just a fluke, but maybe get your battery load tested just to rule it out. Newer cars do funky things when the batteries get weak.

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had my battery tested at AutoZone last summer and they said it was a lil low but still fine. Sometimes I'll turn the key and it'll crank for a while before the engine will start. I still have my original battery and it's a 07. I was gonna replace it before Winter hits. Think I should do it sooner ?

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not just a fluke. Its happened to a number of people. The bigest culpit seems to be a wheel sensor getting dirty or faulty. There are other things to consider. Mine came on 4 days ago waiting in line at the bank teller and they are still on

speed sensors...how much and how hard?

Need a ESP\BAS Guru bad!!

ABS and BAS lights on.
I'll use this info and do some diggin this weekend when I have some time. My steering wheel is slightly off even tho I had a four wheel alignment done last summer. Before I had the alignment, the ABS and BAS lights were on solid. My steering wheel was WAY off then cuz I just replaced the tension struts. Will any damage occur if the sensor isn't replaced or will it just drive me crazy ? It's still ok to drive the car, right ?

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
It could be as simple as a loose wire to a speed sensor. When the lights are on, your ABS, BAS and ESP are non functional.

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
Speed sensors are located at each wheel. See arrow below

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just from past experience, that sounds like an alternator. Giving it that sudden jolt and dimming would lead you to think it was some sort of wire shorting out or loose but I've had problems like this with 3 different cars, all turning out to be an alternator going bad.

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked the wiring today and found that one clip was hangin unfastened. Nothin else seems out of the ordinary. I see replacement sensors are pretty inexpensive. Should I just unplug the old and plug in the new... or is there more involved that that ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts