Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

(From Kansas City, MO)

I've had my baby (2005 Dodge Magnum RT) since day 1, 0 miles. Brand spankin' new. Paid off last summer. She's been pretty good to us besides a few things... Just looked on a forum here to find out how to fix the sunroof that isn't flushing right... also need to dig around to see how I can get the damn windshield washer fluid error to stop coming on, even when there's enough fluid. BTW, anyone ever experience all the lights and gages turning off while driving? It's done it a few times, but not in a while... it's scary not knowing how fast you are going on the highway. Eeeek. Most expensive fix was probably when my tie rods went out and some ball bearing stuff, at the time they were factory only... OH, and my emergency break doesn't work... heh.

Here's my most recent headache though:

Got code P0521 and bought replacement oil pressure sensor from dealership ($68 with tax). Replaced in rain. Fun. Fun. Started her up, no check engine light all day. Thought she was fixed. Next day, check engine light came on again. Ran codes and same one popped up. Called around and dealership said after you replace oil pressure sensor you have to get the computer flashed. Is this right? Resetting computer at dealership cost $85. Ugh. One thing I did notice is that the first time I ran the code before replacing the oil pressure sensor, it said something about oil viscosity. The second time I ran codes after replacing sensor, P0521 came up, but nothing about oil viscosity.

So, everyone who has replaced the oil pressure sensor... have you had to "flash" the computer afterwards to get the check engine light to come off?

Is there anyway the new sensor could be bad?

Is the dealership the only one who can reset the computer?

(I've also got a '92 RS Chevy Camaro (candy apple red w/black stripes T-top) in the garage. When she kept overheating, I got pissed and bought the Magnum and haven't touched her since.)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Welcome from south Alabama!! We were just talking bout codes on here... After a code pops up, and you fix whatever it is, it's my understanding that the code will stay through 3 drive cycles before it clears itself. I'm not exactly what a drive cycle is, rumor has it it's getting the engine up to temp and driving 50 to 100 miles..

·
Registered
138 Posts
I never flashed my computer but i had my battery disconnected during this repair (to reset my code once completed). I actually had to do it twice as the first OPS installed began to leak- jacked up threads... New one works great, no more codes.
And you're running 5w20 always ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My daily commute to work is about 20 miles. So, I have to drive 50-100 miles non-stop 3 times for the thing to reset? Dang, that's a lot of gas.

Yes, the battery was disconnected during the OPS installation. The check engine light did go off afterwards, and I drove around to run errands etc. But it came back on the next morning with same error code. Called parts center and they said with OPS replacement you had to "flash" the computer for the check engine light to go off. I assume "flash" means reset.

There's about 125,000 miles on her now. We use the really expensive Mobil 1 extended performance oil when we change it. Yep, 5w20.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Check the sensor connection. The dealership is full of sh*t there's no need to flash the computer after changing the oil pressure sensor.
Pull fuse #11 in the under hood fuse block to reset the PCM.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Welcome from NC and you have come to the right place for the info you need to fix your Magnum.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Welcome to the site!! I hope you get your code fixed, I personally have never had hat code but I bet you'll find your answer here. Good luck:)

·
Premium Member
18,999 Posts
Welcome from DETROIT "The MotorCity", Michigan!!

Be sure to Check out Welcome to 3GCUSTOMZ.COM!!! for your Modding needs

or give me a PM and I will try to help you out!

Just a sampling of what we DO!
NEW!! 3.5l Engine Cover!!!!
UAS Air Suspension
Vertical doors from VDI
Quality Fiberglass from Karl's Kreations
Exhaust systems from Blastin Bobs
Big Bully intakes and Catch Cans
Full line of SLP products
AAC
R1 Concepts brakes
Engine dress-up sheet-metal, ABS Cover, Coolant Cover, Engine cover inserts, Firewall inserts!
We also offer CAD design and Water Jet Services

Glenn

·
your my boy blue...
5,221 Posts
i just changed mine this saturday, however i never got a cel, just the flashing oil light when the car was at normal operating temp. and idling, it would flash and ding then stay solid, soon as i drove , the light went off...one thing i read its important to do is clean out the connector with contact cleaner, busted oil sensors weep oil into the connector, giving the computer a false reading..

btw i didnt disconnect the battery or get a flash, it still flashed for a good day and a half then reset it self..all is well now..

·
Registered
765 Posts
Welcome from White Sands Missile Range...
uhhh, I got an Ex in KC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Fireman2118! I pulled fuse #11 and ... no light! Well that saved me $85. Also, thanks DirtyPana for the link, before I took off to go home I did the sunroof fix in the parking lot in about 5 min.

bookeem, my oil light never came on, just the check engine light with code P0521. (I just run up to Advanced Auto Parts and they run the code for me for free.)

Dang, I should put some pics up or somethin. I'll be sure to check back here. Impressive site. I hate to break it to you guys... but I really really wanna get a new Camaro... Not sure how I can part with the Magnum though.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Hey no worries. I cant take the credit for it. I found the link posted previously by another member. Id like to say it was Karlito. Anyhow, thats what we are here for! To help each other out. Glad I could help and most of your issues have seemed to be easy fixes so far!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Welcome from NC!

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,575 Posts
from a SIX MAGNUM family from North Carolina.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts