Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to start off, I took my 05 r/t to the track last fall with only a k and n cai and suitcase removed. ran a pretty modest 15.49. I was disappointed but know that this is a heavy car.

so a couple months ago I did a couple more things, I replaced the exhaust manifolds with srt8 stock shorties, punched out the cats and had the car dyno tuned with my new diablo intune. the car (at a mile above sea level) put out 326 rwhp and 367 rwtq. needless to say I was excited about returning to the track...

my best run tonight was 15.22!!!that freaking sucks!!!what the heck? am I expecting too much at a mile above sea level? why did I only gain less than 3 tenths??? wish I would have put all that dough towards a blower. any thoughts? suggestions?

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,574 Posts
I understand; NOT what your problem might be but the disappointing part. My car is dyno'd @ 663 RWHP and will NOT hook at all and since I really have NO plans for multiple trips to the track do NOT want to spend the money for special wheels and drag radials > And at half throttle this car is really squirrely!

·
GooN
950 Posts
I think it's probably to do with your altitude.. My last run pre-engine mods on my 07 3.5L was 15.64.. I would imagine you should be in the 13s at least.. I would take it to another track at a lower altitude before I got discouraged. With an altitude conversion you're at 14.21

eGo

·
Registered
909 Posts
With the minor mods you did seems about right.

If your wanting better times at the track first thing is getting rid of the open diff and swapping gears.

AutoGuide Is my new best friend

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I ran 14.2 on stock tires ,what was your reaction times? And MPH ON THE 1/4? I think I should be in the high 13s by now . What were the temps?
There are a lot of variables . You can try to reduce some weight remove spare, only have 1/4 tank of gas, and reduce tire pressures. My best 0-60 mph was 5.25

·
Registered
82 Posts
No. Never have. How do I do it?
the link what was provided will allow you to select the track, the date, and the time, then you just need to put your actual 1/4 mile and mph in the box and it will auto adjust your 15.2 down to like 14.2 or something like that. It estimates what you would run at a track at sea level vs 1 mile above

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the link what was provided will allow you to select the track, the date, and the time, then you just need to put your actual 1/4 mile and mph in the box and it will auto adjust your 15.2 down to like 14.2 or something like that. It estimates what you would run at a track at sea level vs 1 mile above

13.8 @100 mph is my corrected time. Too bad I will never really see that. Lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran 14.2 on stock tires ,what was your reaction times? And MPH ON THE 1/4? I think I should be in the high 13s by now . What were the temps?
There are a lot of variables . You can try to reduce some weight remove spare, only have 1/4 tank of gas, and reduce tire pressures. My best 0-60 mph was 5.25

My reaction times are all around .15 I lowered tire pressure from 40 to 20 psi and gained nothing. My car weighs 4300 with my 185 pounds in it. Cooper zeon rs3,tires wrapped around 20x10.5 tsw nurburgrings. Which are very light. But i do live in Denver...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you runnin at Bandimere? Thats an awesome track, saw my first NHRA races there.

May sound drastic but NOS may help a bit at altitude if I am not mistaken, but make sure you have the supporting equipment. I would say your gearing/diff and suspension are probably better mods then more power. Also your tranny makes a big difference. I dropped my 0-60 times 2 seconds by getting my transmission to shift the way I wanted it to, went from 7.29 to 5.22 stock vs. DS-Trinity tuned.

·
//CMOM | Secret Agent//
3,243 Posts
Ok, first off, DA is a HUGE part of how well a NA (Naturally Aspirated) car is going to perform. You're mods are bolt ons, and while they are helping they aren't going to make your car into a rocket ship. To get the most out of your mods, you're gonna need a custom tune ([email protected] is my personal tuner) and if you can't get the car on a dyno for tuning, then you can do it via datalogs and emailing them back and forth with Mike. You'll also need a loggable wideband AFR gauge.

If you want to get the most out of your car (besides the tuning of course) then you need to pull weight out. ie: spare tire, jack, passenger seat, rear seats and if you've got a sub box in the back, you've gotta yank it out.. too damn heavy.

NA cars loose anywhere from .2 - .5 durning the summer when it's hot (ie: if you run a 14.0 in summer, you'll most likely run anywhere between a 13.5-13.8 in the fall). Gaining .3 with those mods is GOOD for the mods.

hope this helps.

·
Battle Wagon
278 Posts
13.76 I think was my best and that was R/T stock.
now I have Diablo tune ,air and exuast but havent been back to the track.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, first off, DA is a HUGE part of how well a NA (Naturally Aspirated) car is going to perform. You're mods are bolt ons, and while they are helping they aren't going to make your car into a rocket ship. To get the most out of your mods, you're gonna need a custom tune ([email protected] is my personal tuner) and if you can't get the car on a dyno for tuning, then you can do it via datalogs and emailing them back and forth with Mike. You'll also need a loggable wideband AFR gauge.

If you want to get the most out of your car (besides the tuning of course) then you need to pull weight out. ie: spare tire, jack, passenger seat, rear seats and if you've got a sub box in the back, you've gotta yank it out.. too damn heavy.

NA cars loose anywhere from .2 - .5 durning the summer when it's hot (ie: if you run a 14.0 in summer, you'll most likely run anywhere between a 13.5-13.8 in the fall). Gaining .3 with those mods is GOOD for the mods.

hope this helps.

My car has been Dyno tuned with a diablo intune by bills automotive here in littleton

·
//CMOM | Secret Agent//
3,243 Posts
My car has been Dyno tuned with a diablo intune by bills automotive here in littleton
Did they write you a custom tune, or just test the difference between the stock and canned tune?

FWIW: Not all tuners are created equal. I've never heard of Bill's Automotive, but that doesn't mean Bill can't tune a modern hemi.

That said, if you go further with your mods down the road, I'd recommend stepping up to one of the well known tuners (AJ - Hemituner, [email protected], Joel (JerseyBoy) or Brent at DTP )

Good luck at the track!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts