Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure a lot of you have noticed some discoloration in the lower window trim. I called a body shop and they told me they can order me some OEM parts...which means it will just happen again (at $90 each). SOOOO... I figured I would get some covers. I see everyone with chrome ones though. Don't get me wrong, it looks good on yawl's car, but not my set up. I want to keep things dark and mean, not pimpy and flashy. So I am trying to find them in BLACK chrome or possibly brushed aluminum.

Anyone know where to find these? I haven't had any luck.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I'd replace it with the OEM ones as long as you take care of them I use Mothers Back to Black on mine everytime I wash the car They should stay decent!!

·
Magnified
2,318 Posts
If you want the matte "brushed" look get some 0 grade steel wool or scotch brite pads and scuff the surface.

·
The Overweight Ninja
2,852 Posts
Is your existing trim fixable/paintable? If so, the following was provided to me by Bigal470. It should do the trick for you and you may not need to pick up some new trim.

1) remove trim form car (if you have new set go to step #2)

2) each end has a plastic cap we need to remove it..turn it upside down you will see two tabs on each side bend them out of the way you can use a screw driver or needle nose pliers...once that is done slide them off...might be a little tuff

3)

a- if you have and will be using rubber moldings the steps are a little different for prep here we go for them... we dont want to mess with the rubber seal for the window so time to mask it off make sure you clean the seal with alcohol or what ever you like to use once dry tape it off nice and straight make sure the line between the tape and where the paint will be is on very well i usually draw my nail over it...make sure you cover the entire back with masking tape you dont want different color felts. time for paint go to the next step

b- if you have the dub edition chrome molding tap off the seal dont worry about getting it to perfect we will be doing it over again later... once taped of we need to sand the chrome just a bit so we can get some adhesion with the paint i prefer 400 then 600 once that is done you can strip the masking tape off the seal it usually gets screwed up in sanding .... now re clean the whole thing get it nice and clean then re tape the seal your now ready for paint go to the next step

4) first things firs we need to get a adhesion promoter down so the paint will stick I use SEM it works best in my experience.. do a light coat wait 5 - 10 minutes then do a full coat let it tack 15 minutes no longer then 30

5)do a light coat of sandable primer let dry for 5 - 10 minutes and do a second pass follow this step till you have uniform coverage usually 4 coats depending on weather you can do thicker coats...

6) for best paint results you want a nice smooth surface sand it down very lightly to knock down any imperfections I also use very fine steel wool make sure you clean after this step or use a tack cloth

7) time for paint make sure your paint is warm i will either let it sit out in the sun or soak it in the sink in hot water after that shake it up you want the paint nice and mixed...

8) lay down your first coat of base color trick is to do a couple thin coats to get coverage make sure you allow dry time between coats this is very important... after three light coats and or complete coverage i usually let it dry for an hour then do a light sanding or hit with fine steel wool this will give you a nice clean surface for your final coat (dont forget to clean and use a tack cloth after) lay down your last coat this should be a full cover coat start at one end and finish at the other let this coat dry for an hour

9)time for clear coat this is no different then any other paint its just clear I follow the same process as above but try and get four full coats reason being is after it dries we need to do some sanding to smooth it all out...

10) you can wait 2 hours or four hours i usually wait till the next day before i start my next process sanding...usually start with 1200 then go up to 1500 finishing with 2000 make sure it is very smoorth and move on the next step

11)removing tape you must be very careful doing this last time i did this i waited three days so the paint was nice and dry other wise it will try to peal off with the tape some people like to cut along the line with an exacto but i find this very dangerous one slip and its time to start over....usually if you peel the tape back with it laying on top of itself you will have no problems also you might want to pull it toward the seal so it pulls away from the paint if you try and pull it straight up your gona chip the paint and have a jagged edge...

12) polish time this can be done with the item back on the car or in your hand up to you I think its easier on the car...start with a polishing compound keep rubbing it in till you get a nice shine...once that is done go back over again with a polish or cleaner type wax this should give you a glass like look if not you might need to use the compound again it does take some elbow grease but the final product is well worth it

couple notes try using primer, basecoat, and clear from the same company you will get better results and you will not need to worry about paints reacting to each other..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts